The need for organizational savvy
We begin with a “political” wake-up call by:
- outlining a business rationale for entering the ethical politics arena,
- providing a positive definition of organizational politics, and
- pointing to signals of politics operating.
You may be underestimating the role that politics plays in how your ideas sell or in your career mobility. A Baseline Attitude Activity and a provocative presentation reveal tip-offs that you may not have paid enough attention to the role of organizational politics.
Organizational savvy model: two Political Styles
A continuum shows two contrasting organizational Political Styles. The styles collide, each with a unique world view and a different calculus for evaluating ideas. The clues are revealed for recognizing each style of operating, along with the dangers and liabilities of each extreme. You’ll discuss the risks to the individual, team, and enterprise associated with the two extreme Political Styles and understand the benefits of a third style, one that balances organizational impact with personal integrity.
Our one-day “door opener” version of Organizational Savvy is not intended to replace our flagship two-day program that delivers the following additional benefits and modules:
- Savvy influence vocabulary – targeting appropriate language when presenting an idea or challenging seniors’ ideas, especially when they are more ego-oriented or politically motivated.
- Elevator speeches – this classic corporate branding strategy has powerful ethical self-promotion applications in the political arena.
- Detecting and handling deception – why leaders are vulnerable to distorted, misrepresented information and how to prevent such costly manipulation.
- Executive presence and image – incorporating body language and power image to fuel one’s positive reputation.
- Handling sabotage – insights and skills for managing dominating, challenging colleagues and bosses and living to talk about it.
- Organizational Savvy Case Studies – the flagship program includes three real-world case studies that are analyzed and discussed.
- Enriched practice and activities – our shorter course is so packed, participants often express the desire for more in-depth practice time for skill and strategy integration to occur.
Overview to organizational savvy skill sets: online assessment results and case study
Your online prework assignment involves a 65-item Organizational Savvy Self-Assessment or a more potent Multi-Rater Assessment that provides feedback on your effectiveness in 13 Savvy Skill Sets. Whichever assessment your company chooses, you will discuss your personalized results. Next, you’ll analyze and discuss a Case Study from a real corporation, identifying the Political Styles at work and which Savvy Skill Sets could have prevented problems and might lead to a more positive outcome.
Download the Savvy Skills Pyramid, a visual overview of the Savvy Skill Sets assessed and taught during this workshop
Read power dynamics, know your corporate buzz and manage negative perceptions
Astute influencers study their companies’ power relationships and unwritten rules to learn how decisions are really made. You’ll plot power trends and then discover your corporate buzz–– how you and your team are perceived (the good, the bad, the ugly)–– and how to manage these perceptions. Understanding your organization’s “scorecard” and your reputation is pivotal to job success, influence efforts, and career advancement.
Street-smart political strategies
You’ll learn practical action strategies to avoid naiveté and to become more politically savvy. You’ll see that being political need not equate with becoming unethical. It means getting ideas implemented without selling your soul, and living to tell about it. You’ll discover the importance of actions like promoting yourself, building your power base, networking, ethical lobbying, respecting turf, and addressing hidden agenda.